Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation, is Maryland’s largest gas and electric utility. Headquartered in Baltimore, BGE provides service to more than 1.2 million electric customers and more than 655,000 natural gas customers in central Maryland.
BGE’s electric service territory is approximately 2,300 square miles, including Baltimore City and all or part of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Carroll, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.
BGE’s gas service territory is approximately 800 square miles, including Baltimore City and all or part of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.
- Service Area: electric, 2,300 square miles; gas, 800 square miles
- Customers: 1.2 million+ electric; 655,000+ natural gas
- Employees: approx. 3,400
- 2012 Revenues: $2,735 million
- 2012 Assets: $7,499 million
- Substations: 243
- Distribution & Transmission Power Lines: More than 25,000 circuit miles distribution; almost 1,300 circuit miles transmission
- Natural Gas Pipeline Network: More than 7,100 miles
Founded in 1816, BGE is the nation’s oldest gas utility and among the country’s oldest electric utilities. For nearly 200 years, BGE has been an innovator in meeting the energy needs of central Maryland residents and businesses. Today, the company’s growing array of programs, services and resources is defining the next generation of energy management. BGE believes energy works smarter when we work together with our customers. We take steps to help our customers conserve and better manage their energy and related costs; protect the environment and minimize the impact of our operations; help make our communities vibrant and growing; deliver energy delivery safely and reliably; and provide customers with the exceptional service they deserve.
Investments in Reliability and Innovation
Delivering energy safely and reliably is a core part of our mission. Since 2002, BGE has invested more than $3 billion in our systems to meet the growing service and reliability needs of our customers.
- Infrastructure. We aim to maintain safe systems and reduce the occurrence and length of outages on our system through rigorous inspection and maintenance programs, as well as various infrastructure improvements.
- Training. We invest in reliability through regular training of our employees and through maintenance of emergency-response and storm-readiness plans, which we test with drills throughout the year.
- Smart Grid. We are investing in a leading-edge smart grid program. In spring 2012, BGE began a three-year project to change out the electric meters for all BGE residential and small commercial customers. Smart meters are digital meters that allow two-way communication with BGE through a wireless network. As more smart meters are installed and enhanced technologies put into place, new features are becoming available for customers, including online usage tracking and bill forecasting.
Safety is one of the highest priorities at BGE. BGE emphasizes safety through comprehensive safety programs for employees and contractors. BGE’s safety outreach program also transcends the workplace and extends to BGE’s customers and the communities.
BGE is working to demonstrate its environmental commitment.
- Customer Programs. The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® is a suite of offerings intended to help customers reduce energy usage and demand in support of EmPOWER Maryland’s goal of a 15 percent per capita reduction in energy consumption by 2015. BGE customers have achieved an overall energy savings of more than 1.2 billion kilowatt hours, equivalent to eliminating the carbon dioxide emissions from the electricity use of nearly 131,000 homes.
- Operations. BGE is committed to protecting the wildlife, forests, plants and waterways in its communities as it provides for customers’ energy needs. In addition, BGE looks for innovative ways within its operations to reduce its impact on the environment. BGE is phasing in many of its fleet vehicles to include biodiesel and electricity. BGE’s Spring Gardens natural gas facility includes an array of solar panels.
BGE is dedicated to supporting the communities it serves and where its employees live and work.
- Education. Through BGE’s customer engagement and community outreach efforts, we educate diverse audiences about BGE’s programs and services, including gas and electric safety, energy conservation and management, billing and payment information, and energy assistance.
- Assistance. BGE’s outreach to limited-income customers includes a variety of communications channels and partnerships with a variety of local government and nonprofit agencies that have direct contact with limited-income households. BGE's outreach has broadened to include agencies that provide services and benefits unrelated to energy assistance to spread the word even further. BGE is working to integrate assistance programs with efficiency and conservation programs so that limited-income customers can more easily get help paying their bills and reducing their consumption.
- Charitable Contributions. BGE plays an integral role in working with Maryland communities to address economic development, public safety, civic issues and other initiatives that help improve our neighborhoods. Using shareholder dollars, BGE supports programs that deliver measurable and sustainable impact in areas of energy efficiency and assistance, education, the environment, economic and community development, emergency response and safety. In addition, BGE employees play an active part in community support by contributing significantly to the annual United Way campaign, engaging in countless volunteer activities and serving on many local nonprofit boards.
BGE Fact Sheet