Founded in 1816, Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE) is the nation’s oldest gas utility. BGE, a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation, is also Maryland’s largest gas and electric utility. For nearly 200 years, BGE has been an innovator in meeting the energy needs of central Maryland residents and businesses.
- Service Area: electric, 2,300 square miles; gas, 800 square miles
- Customers: 1.25 million+ electric; 650,000+ natural gas
- Employees: approx. 3,200
- Substations: 243
- Distribution & Transmission Power Lines: More than 25,000 circuit miles distribution; almost 1,300 circuit miles transmission
- Natural Gas Pipeline Network: More than 7,100 miles
Investments in Reliability and Innovation
- Infrastructure. We aim to maintain safe systems and reduce the occurrence and length of outages on our system through rigorous inspection and maintenance programs, as well as various infrastructure improvements.
- Training. We invest in reliability through regular training of our employees and through maintenance of emergency-response and storm-readiness plans, which we test with drills throughout the year.
- Smart Grid. We are investing in a leading-edge smart grid program. As more smart meters are installed and enhanced technologies put into place, new features are becoming available for customers, including online usage tracking and bill forecasting.
Safety is one of the highest priorities at BGE. BGE emphasizes safety through comprehensive safety programs for employees and contractors. BGE’s safety outreach program also transcends the workplace and extends to BGE’s customers and the communities.
BGE is working to demonstrate its environmental commitment.
- Customer Programs. The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® is an offerings intended to help customers reduce energy usage and demand in support of EmPOWER Maryland’s goal. BGE customers have achieved an overall energy savings of more than the equivalent to eliminating the carbon dioxide emissions from the electricity use of nearly 131,000 homes.
- Operations. BGE is committed to protecting the wildlife, forests, plants and waterways in its communities as it provides for customers’ energy needs. In addition, BGE looks for innovative ways within its operations to reduce its impact on the environment.
- Education. Through BGE’s customer engagement and community outreach efforts, we educate diverse audiences about BGE’s programs and services, including gas and electric safety, energy conservation, billing and energy assistance.
- Assistance. BGE’s outreach to limited-income customers includes a variety of communications channels and partnerships with a variety of local government and nonprofit agencies. BGE is working to integrate assistance programs with efficiency and conservation programs so that customers can more easily get help paying their bills and reducing their consumption.
- Charitable Contributions. BGE plays an integral role in working with Maryland communities to address economic development, public safety, civic issues and other initiatives that help improve our neighborhoods. BGE supports programs that deliver measurable and sustainable impact. In addition, BGE employees play an active part in community support by contributing significantly to countless volunteer activities and serving on many local nonprofit boards.
BGE Fact Sheet