At BGE we embrace the philosophy that our corporate vitality depends on the well-being of the communities we serve. Through thoughtful social investments of time and money, we strive to enhance the quality of life in these communities where our employees, customers and their families live.
BGE employees serve on the boards of directors of more than 60 community organizations. Our corporate giving reflects BGE's business strategies and focuses on specific categories:
Conservation/Home Maintenance: Each year many families receive home weatherization and energy efficiency assistance from organizations that receive financial support from BGE. As a result, these families may save as much as one third on their energy bills. In a recent 18-month period, we contributed significantly to the following Maryland organizations that support weatherization/energy efficiency initiatives:
- Banner Neighborhoods Community Corp.
- Patuxent Habitat for Humanity
- Rebuilding Together – Harford County
- Citizens Planning & Housing Association
- Christmas in April – Calvert County
- Sandtown Habitat for Humanity
- Arundel Habitat for Humanity
Limited Income Solutions: Every year we strongly support organizations whose mission is to meet the basic needs of low income customers. Through the BGE Community Assistance Fund and other sources, we make grants to non-profit organizations that provide immediate assistance and promote longer-term self-reliance. Some of the organizations we support include:
- Maryland Food Bank
- Meals on Wheels
- St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center
- Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake
- Catholic Charities
- Community Assistance Network
- Fuel Fund of Maryland
- St. Vincent de Paul Society
- Salvation Army
- House of Ruth
- Marcey House
- Sarah's House
- South Baltimore Emergency Relief
- Anna's House
- Hampden Family Center
- Franciscan Center
Safety: Recently our commitment to safety has included contributions to the Prince George's County Public Safety Assistance Program, the MD Emergency Management Association and the Pediatric Burn Center at Johns Hopkins Children's Center.
Community-Based Events: As members of the communities in which we live, we also participate in and support the events of a number of community organizations, including:
- Town of Hampstead
- Charles Village Community Foundation Festival
- Seton Hill Association
- Phoenix Community & Youth Council
- Arbutus Arts Festival
- American Indian Center
- Calvert County Fair
- Heritage Foundation
- Katipunam-Filipino-American Association
- Greater Edgewood Education Foundation
- The Fuel Fund of Maryland supplements the resources of those experiencing hardship with their home energy needs. For every $1 donated by private individuals to the Fuel Fund, BGE customers make available a 50-cent credit to assist needy families. Up to $2 million in utility credits are made available each year. Contact the Fuel Fund of Maryland at www.fuelfundmaryland.org or 410.821.3022 for information.
- Learn more about The Weatherization Assistance Program at http://dhr.maryland.gov/ohep/index.php or 800.638.7781.
- Maryland's Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) assists households with obtaining emergency energy assistance aid. Contact OHEP at www.dhr.state.md.us/meap or 800.352.1449 for information.