BGE employees and contractors regularly work on or around roads and highways. These work zones can be extremely dangerous if motorists are inattentive or do not practice safe driving procedures. Nationally, four out of five people killed or injured in work zone crashes are inattentive drivers or their passengers. For your safety and the safety of BGE employees and contractors, please respect the cone zone.
- Watch for work signage, cones, barriers and vehicle strobe lights.
- Stay alert and minimize distractions. Obey state laws for mobile phone use and avoid changing radio stations or reaching for objects.
- Obey the posted speed limits. When traveling at 55 mph, you will enter a work zone 1,000 feet away in only 13 seconds. If a flagger is present, obey their directions.
- Pay attention to the posted signs.
- Do not tailgate. The most common work zone accident is the rear-end crash.
- Be patient and stay calm!