Gas Appliance Flexible Connector
|In the event of a potential gas leak:
- Leave the premises immediately and go to a safe place where you can call BGE at 1.800.685.0123.
- Extinguish all open flames. Do not use matches or lighters and do not attempt to light an appliance.
- Do not touch any phones, electric switches, thermostats or appliance controls. All of these devices, including battery operated equipment, can cause sparks and ignite natural gas.
- Do not start any motorized equipment. Turn off and abandon any motorized equipment you may be operating.
- Do not attempt to find the source of the leak or to repair a leak.
If you smell gas
If you smell gas, leave your home immediately and call BGE from the nearest telephone. Even homes that don’t use gas can experience gas leaks through walls from outdoors. Calls for emergency gas service are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A service person will come to your home free of charge. Remember, if you smell gas, leave your home first, THEN call 800.685.0123.
Report gas leaks immediately
Natural gas is colorless, tasteless and odorless. It also smells like rotten eggs so you will know if natural gas is escaping. We will gladly send you a scratch-and-sniff sample of natural gas so you can smell it for yourself.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is usually caused by incomplete combustion and inadequate ventilation. To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, gas and oil appliance manufacturers recommend a yearly safety check-up. A qualified heating contractor can perform this service. For more information click here
|Download the Natural Gas Safety brochure |
BGE is alerting its natural gas customers to a possible safety hazard involving older brass flexible gas connectors that are attached to home appliances.
Warning -- Possible Flexible Connector Safety Hazard
Winter Safety for Gas Meters
To assure uninterrupted gas service, please keep your outside gas meter and attached equipment clear of ice buildup and snow. Check the meter on a regular basis and gently clear away any ice buildup or snow. A broom makes a handy tool to gently clear the meter. Even though it may be tempting, do not melt ice or snow with a heat source or chip the ice away or use a shovel to scrape it off. These methods can easily damage or break the meter. It is also important to remove icicles from the roof or gutters that hang over the meter. Dripping water can cause freezing and damage the meter or equipment. If the meter becomes encased in ice, please call BGE at 800.685.0123 and we will help solve the problem.
Major Storms and Flooding Can Impact Natural Gas Service
The proximity of many BGE customers to the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries makes flooding a possibility when major storms cause coastal surges and heavy rainfall. As floodwaters rise, it raises the potential for water to penetrate the natural gas system in low-lying portions of the region and cause customers to lose gas service. Learn more.
Customer Care Center
Our Customer Care representatives are ready to serve you:
- Monday 8:00 a.m. through midnight Friday.
- Emergency service is available 24 hours a day.
- Foreign-language interpreters are Phone:
TTY/TDD (Maryland Relay Service): 800.735.2258 available.
For more resources on natural gas safety, visit the Safe Gas Maryland website of the Maryland Gas Operators Advisory Committee.