For trees that grow more than 40 feet tall
- Check with your nursery expert, a Maryland Licensed Professional Forester, or a Certified Arborist for the maximum height and crown spread before planting trees near overhead utility lines.
- Before substituting hybrids within the same genus and species, make sure it is suitable for planting near utilities.
- BGE recommends that customers avoid planting below power lines to limit the potential for reliability issues in the future. However, if you below power lines, please select trees and shrubs that grow to a maximum height of 25 feet.
- Do not plant near power lines
- These trees are recommended for open areas without overhead or underground restrictions for their height, width and large root systems.
- American Linden - Redmond or Legend, Common Horse Chestnut, Little Leaf Linden - Greenspire or Glenleven, and Scholartree - Regent or Japanese.
- Ash - White or Green, Birch - River, Blackgum, Dawn Redwood, Gingko ( male only), Honeylocust - Skyline, Halka, or Shademaster, Maple - Red or Sugar, Oaks - White, Red, Willow or Pin, Sweetgum, and Zelkova.
- Blue Atlas Cedar, Cryptomeria, False Cypress - Hinoki, Leyland Cypress, Spruce - Norway, Serbian, Colorado Blue, or White, and White Pine.
For trees that grow 25 to 40 feet tall
- Do not plant under power lines
- Plant in areas where above-and-below-ground space will allow for their mature height, width and root systems.
- Callery Pear - Redspire, Aristocrat, Trinity, Flowering Cherry - Kwanzan, Sargent, Higan, Golden Rain Tree, Red Horsechestnut - Brioti, and Yellowwood.
- American Hornbeam, European Hombeam, Hedge Maple, Honeylocust - Imperial, and Sawtooth Oak.
- American Holly, Eastern Hemlock, Eastern Red Cedar, False Cypress - Golden, Japanese Black Pine, and Limber Pine.
For trees that grow less than 25 feet tall
- These trees are appropriate for planting under or near power lines.
- Crabapple, Crape Myrtle, Dogwood - Kousa, Gray, Eastern Redbud, Franklinia, Goldenchain - Vossii, Hawthorne, Japanese Snowbell, Japanese Tree Lilac - Summer Snow, Ivory Silk, Serviceberry, and Stewartia.
- Amur Maple, Japanese Red Maple - Bloodgood, Burgundy Lace, Paperback Maple, Trident Maple, Truncatum Maple - Norwegian Sunset, and Pacific Sunset.
- Arborvitae - Nigra, Techny, Emerald, Chinese Juniper - Robusta Green, Spartan, Spearmint, and Holly - Nellie R. Stevens, Foster.
Hedges and Screens: 6 to 15 feet tall
- Hollies - Japanese, Chinese, Blue, Juniper - Pfizter, Old Gold, Hetzii, Viburnum - Leatherleaf, Doublefile, and Yews - Hicksii, Hatfield.