BGE’s Tree and Vegetation Management Program is here to protect power lines from coming into conflict with the tress and branches. For preventive maintenance, BGE follows accepted utility clearance standards outlined in Maryland’s Tree Expert License Law and the A300 standards for pruning established by the American National Standards Institute.
The Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) has developed regulations to govern how Maryland utilities manage their reliability efforts. BGE implements these regulations and customers can expect the following:
Additional pruning or removal of trees
More comprehensive tree and vegetation management along lines located close to electrical substations – important facilities that manage delivery of power to customer homes.
When a neighborhood is scheduled for tree and vegetation management work, our contractors leave door hangers to let customers know what to expect. If heavy tree pruning or removal is required, you will be contacted directly. If you have questions about the proposed work, call our contractor using the phone number on the door hanger.
- The clearance for a power line depends on the voltage, construction of the line, growth rate and species of the tree, and the tree’s proximity.
- Our contractors leave as much of the remaining tree crown growing away from the lines as possible.
- If a large portion of the tree crown is removed, removal of a tree may be recommended.
- If a hazardous tree is identified, we work with the owner to ensure that the tree is properly managed to minimize risk to BGE lines.
- In urban/residential areas, all cut branches less than eight inches in diameter are removed and the remaining wood is cut to manageable lengths and left for the property owner.
- In rural wooded areas, the debris is cut close to the ground to encourage natural decay.
- BGE does not take requests for wood chips. If you would like wood chips from tree trimming, please contact the contractor directly.
- If a tree on your property breaks or falls on our equipment, BGE does not remove the debris.