- What is the difference between PeakRewards and BGE Smart Energy Rewards
- Both programs are designed to help ease the “peak” demand for electricity during the hot summer months (June – September).
When you choose to enroll in the PeakRewards program, you agree to help ease high electricity demand by allowing BGE to “cycle” your air conditioning on and off with a professionally installed programmable thermostat or outdoor air conditioning switch. The program is open to all BGE residential customers with central air conditioning or an electric heat pump in good working order, regardless of their choice of electricity supplier. To learn more about the PeakRewards program, visit BGEsavings.com.
BGE Smart Energy Rewards does not require any equipment, besides a smart meter, and is voluntary – the more you choose to save during Energy Savings Days, the more you can earn. This program is made possible by smart meters, which provide you with access to more timely information about your energy usage. As part of the program, customers with smart meters can earn bill credits by reducing their electricity usage from 1 pm – 7 pm on designated Energy Savings Days. To learn more about BGE Smart Energy Rewards, visit the BGE.com/SmartEnergyRewards.
- As a PeakRewards customer, can I participate in BGE Smart Energy Rewards?
- Yes, all residential customers with smart meters are automatically enrolled in BGE Smart Energy Rewards. You will continue to receive PeakRewards bill credits as a monthly minimum or your BGE Smart Energy Rewards credits, whichever are greater.
- Will the PeakRewards program change?
- Yes. On Energy Savings Days, your air conditioner or electric heat pump will be cycled up to 50% between 1 pm – 7 pm. With BGE Smart Energy Rewards, you can also choose additional ways to reduce your energy use and save even more.
Also, you’ll have unlimited overrides on Energy Savings Days. However, as in the past, during emergency cycling events, you will be cycled up to your chosen participation level (50%, 75% or 100%) and overrides are not permitted.
- How will I know what I saved?
- Your smart meter measures total household energy usage. BGE will calculate your savings by comparing your electric usage during an Energy Savings Day with your typical usage on days with similar weather. If you perform a few energy-saving measures during an Energy Savings Days – like turn off all unnecessary lights or use ceiling fans to stay cool instead of your air conditioning– your efforts can make a difference. You will earn a bill credit of $1.25 for every kilowatt-hour reduced during an Energy Savings Day, which will appear on your next BGE electric bill. These savings may exceed what you typically earn through PeakRewards, however if they do not, you will still receive your typical PeakRewards summer bill credits.
- Why can’t I earn both my PeakRewards credit and BGE Smart Energy Rewards credit?
- Customers who participate in both programs do not receive double the credits because the energy saved from automatically cycling their air conditioning on Energy Savings Days and emergency cycling events also contributes to the overall energy savings that make up the BGE Smart Energy Rewards bill credit.
- What is the difference between an Energy Savings Day and an Emergency Event?
- On an Energy Savings Day, demand for electricity and the price of electricity is high, so it is beneficial to use less of it. During an emergency event, demand for electricity is close to surpassing supply and BGE is required by the regional grid manager to activate its PeakRewards program. This type of event is called to avoid potential brownouts and rolling blackouts area-wide.
- Can I override my participation in an Energy Savings Day if I’m a PeakRewards customer?
- PeakRewards customers have an unlimited number of cycling overrides on Energy Savings Days. However, if an emergency event is called, the override will be canceled and you will be cycled up to your chosen cycling participation level (50%, 75% or 100%) for the duration of the event. You are not allowed to override your participation during an emergency event or the transition out of an emergency event. Follow these steps to override participation in an Energy Savings Day:
Log onto your BGE account: Visit BGE.com/myaccount and enter your BGE Username and Password to sign in. The site will open to the "Manage My Account" tab.
Access your PeakRewards account: From the "Manage My Account" tab, you will be able to access your PeakRewards account by clicking on the "PeakRewards" link under the "My Programs" section. The "My Programs" section will list all BGE programs that you are enrolled in (example: Budget Billing). If you are not enrolled in PeakRewards, PeakRewards will not be listed in the "My Programs" section.
Access your PeakRewards Device: Once you click on the "PeakRewards," link you will be logged in and will be able to access all of the site features:
Track Cycling Event Status and History
Set and Save Thermostat Schedules
Temporarily Adjust Thermostat Settings
Override Energy Savings Days
- For customers with a PeakRewards thermostat - Why does the air conditioner fan run anytime there is an event or anytime it is set to On or Circ – even if the system is off?
- The fan is designed to run throughout an entire cycling event to keep air circulating throughout the house even if the air conditioning is off. Typically, cycling events are on very hot summer days and having the fan on throughout the duration of the event helps keep the air circulating and the home more comfortable during the event.
- I’m a PeakRewards customers and I’m signed up to receive cycling notifications. Will I receive a notification when an Energy Savings Day is taking place?
- BGE Smart Energy Rewards customers with a PeakRewards device installed in their home will be cycled up to the 50% level from 1 pm – 7 pm on Energy Savings Days. In most cases, these customers are notified by phone, email or text the evening before an Energy Savings Day occurs. This day-ahead notification informs customers that their PeakRewards device will be cycled and encourages the customer to take additional steps to save energy and earn credits on their bill. To ensure you receive these notifications, log into BGE.com/MyAccount and update your notification preferences.