- Are you sharing my usage information?
- No, your identity is kept completely anonymous. The comparison uses an average of 100 similar homes, but only you can see the details for your home, including your energy use. Many customers are finding that this context is very helpful in making decisions about additional things they can do to save energy and money and we hope you will find the comparison to be valuable as well.
View all of our tips on the "Ideas & Advice" page. The U.S. Department of Energy and the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy are good, independent resources for additional information on energy savings. If you would like to review this information or have more questions, please contact the BGE Customer Relations Call Center at 800.685.0123.
- Can I unsubscribe from receiving Home Energy Reports?
- Yes. The reports are provided to help you understand your home energy use, save energy, and lower your bills. However, if you would like to unsubscribe, you can do so in the "My Profile" section of BGE.com by selecting “Stop sending me Smart Energy Reports all together.” You can also contact the BGE Customer Relations Call Center at 800.685.0123 to unsubscribe from this program.
- How did you choose the homes used in my neighbor comparisons?
- Your energy use is being compared to the usage patterns of a group of about 100 homes. To provide valid comparisons, we've chosen specific homes that have characteristics that typically lead to similar energy needs, such as home size and heating source. We base this information on public real estate records. Most importantly, we only include homes that appear to be occupied at the time of the comparison.
- How do you determine the size of my home and how do I update it?
- The square footage of your home that we use in the Home Energy Report is based on public data that is collected from your county assessor's office about your home. If the square footage on your report is not correct, you can change it by clicking on “Tell us about your home.” In the “Overview” page under the “My Energy Use” tab.
- How long will it take for updates to my square footage and/or heating fuel information to be reflected in my similar homes comparison?
- If you make a change to the square footage or heating fuel information in your profile, it might not be reflected in your very next report depending on the timing, but it will certainly be updated within two reports. To see your updated information more quickly, you can visit the BGE Smart Energy Manager after your next billing cycle.
- I did not change my behavior, but my bill was not nearly as high as my alert said it would be. Why wasn't my forecast accurate?
- The costs reflected in the BGE Smart Energy Manager are estimated costs. There are several factors that may cause these estimates to be different from your bill. For example, customers with other suppliers may notice a difference between their actual bill and their estimated bill on their BGE Smart Energy Manager account because the estimated costs are based on BGE rates and not supplier rates. Budget Billing customers’ bills will be different than their estimated costs because the estimates are based on actual using during the period, and not the monthly budget payment.
- My profile information indicates that you have no square footage information about my home. How can this report be valid?
- A variety of information is used during the similar homes selection process. When square footage information is missing, we still use information such as the dwelling type and heating source to determine the similar homes selection. If your square footage information is missing from your Home Energy Report, we encourage you to update your account in the Savings Tips page by clicking on “Get expert advice” in the BGE Smart Energy Manager.
- What are Unusual Usage Alerts? Why did my utility send me this alert?
- Unusual Usage Alerts can provide an early warning if you are headed towards a bill that is higher than usual. This will prevent surprises when your bill arrives, and you'll have time to reduce your usage before you get your next bill. You can register for Unusual Usage Alerts by going to the “Notifications” page under the “My Profile” tab of your BGE.com account.
- What is the Green Button feature?
- Green Button is a feature provided by BGE that responds to a White House challenge to provide you access to your energy usage information in a simple standard format that they can download.
The Green Button feature available on BGE.com allows you to securely download your energy use information and share it with other companies in order to be matched with additional energy services and programs that can save you money.
- What is in the Home Energy Report?
- Home Energy Reports are designed to provide new information to help you understand the way your household uses energy and find smart ways to make your home more efficient. For example, each report may provide you with the following:
A detailed view of the time periods when your home uses the most energy, which will help you understand who to manage the activities that that typically take place during those periods.
An energy use comparison between your home and other homes that are similar in size, so you’ll know if your household is operating as efficiently as possible, or if there are additional steps you could take.
Progress tracking: You'll also see how your home's energy use changes over time and across seasons.
On each report, you can find ways to save energy, including information on the rebates and other special programs we offer.
- What is the purpose of the program?
- Based on feedback from customers, many people are eager to make their homes more efficient and save money in the process, but they're not always sure how to go about it. The BGE Smart Energy Manager program is designed to provide you with more detailed information about your energy use so you can make informed choices and save money.
- What is the neighbor comparison?
- The goal of this comparison is simply to allow you to track your usage in relation to other homes of similar size and occupancy (based on public records). The neighbor comparison allows you to view your usage in comparison to the usage patterns of about 100 homes, which will help you, determine if your household is operating as efficiently as possible.
- Where can I learn more about making my home more energy efficient?
- You can view all of our tips, customized for households like yours, on the "Ideas & Advice" page of the BGE Smart Energy Manager under the Savings Tips tab.
You can browse tips, create an energy efficiency plan, and complete an Energy Questionnaire to see the top 10 most relevant tips for your home by clicking on “Get expert advice” in the “Ideas and Advice” page.
The U.S. Department of Energy and the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy are also good, independent resources for additional information on energy savings.