- What is the purpose of the program?
- BGE Smart Energy Manager® is powered by the smart meter installed at your home and is designed to provide you with more detailed information about your energy use. By logging into BGE.com/MyAccount and clicking on the “My Energy Use” tab, you can:
Track your energy consumption hour-by-hour and day-by-day to understand how much energy you’re using and when
Compare your home’s electric usage to other similarly-sized homes in your neighborhood
Discover helpful, energy-saving tips and rebates as well as build a personalized energy plan
Sign up for Unusual Usage Alerts and receive a text, email and phone call when your usage is trending higher than normal for your household so you can react and save before your actual bill arrives
Sign up for Weekly Energy emails to help track and manage your usage throughout the month without having to log into your BGE.com account
Update or change the way you want BGE to notify you about your bill
View your energy and money saving results if you participate in BGE Smart Energy Rewards®
- What is in the Home Energy Report?
- Home Energy Reports are designed to provide new information to help you understand the way your household uses energy and find smart ways to make your home more efficient. For example, each report may provide you with the following:
A detailed view of the time periods when a home uses the most energy, which will help you understand how to manage the activities that typically take place during those periods.
An energy use comparison between one home and other homes that are similar in size. This comparison encourages all customers to evaluate their home’s energy usage and determine if there is an opportunity to improve its performance.
Suggestions for additional steps one may want to take.
Progress tracking: You will also see how your home's energy usage changes over time and across seasons.
On each report, you can find ways to save energy, including information on the rebates and other special programs BGE offers.
- What is the neighbor comparison?
- The neighbor comparison allows you to track your usage in relation to other homes of similar size and occupancy based on public records. You can view your usage in comparison to the usage patterns of about 100 homes. This comparison encourages all customers to evaluate their home’s energy usage and determine if there is an opportunity to improve your home’s performance.
- What are Unusual Usage Alerts?
- Unusual Usage Alerts can provide an early warning if you are headed toward a bill that is higher than usual. This will prevent surprises when your bill arrives, and you'll have time to reduce your usage before you get your next bill. You can register for Unusual Usage Alerts by going to the “Notifications” page under the “My Profile” tab of BGE.com/MyAccount.
- Can I unsubscribe from receiving Home Energy Reports?
- Yes. The reports are provided to help you understand your home energy use, save energy, and lower your bills. However, if you would like to unsubscribe at any time, there are two options. The first option is to visit BGE.com/MyAccount and select “My Profile” and then “Notifications.” Deselect any checkmarks next to Home Energy Reports. The second option is to contact BGE at 800.685.0123 to change your notification preferences. A customer service representative will update your account.
- Where can I learn more about making my home more energy efficient?
- You can view tips, customized for households like yours, by clicking “What Uses Most” under the “My Energy Use” tab of BGE.com/MyAccount. Complete a 5-minute home assessment survey to find out what uses the most energy and get specific tips for improvement. The U.S. Department of Energy and the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy are also good, independent resources for additional information on energy savings.
- Are you sharing my usage information with others?
- No. Your identity is kept completely anonymous. The neighbor comparison uses an average of 100 similar homes, but only you can see the details for your home, including your energy use. Many customers find this context helpful in making decisions about additional things they can do to save. View all of our tips on the "Ideas & Advice" section under the “Savings Tips“ tab of BGE.com/MyAccount. If you would like to review this information or have more questions, please contact BGE at 800.685.0123.
- How did you choose the homes used in my neighbor comparisons?
- Your energy use is being compared to the usage patterns of about 100 homes. To provide valid comparisons, homes with specific characteristics, such as home size and heating source, are chosen to identify the typical energy needs. This analysis and home selection is based on public real estate records.
- How do you determine the size of my home and how do I update it?
- The square footage of the home that is used in the Home Energy Report is based on public data that is collected from the home’s county assessor's office. If the square footage on the report is not correct, customers change it on BGE.com/MyAccount by visiting the “Overview” section under the “My Energy Use” tab and clicking “Tell us about your home” on the right-hand side of the page.
- How long will it take for updates to my square footage and/or heating fuel information to be reflected in the similar homes comparison?
- If changes are made to the square footage or heating fuel information in your profile, it may not be reflected in the very next report depending on the timing, but it will be updated within one bill cycle. To see your updated information more quickly, you can visit BGE.com/MyAccount after your next billing cycle.
- My bill was not as high as my alert said it would and I did not change my behavior, why wasn't my forecast accurate?
- The costs reflected in the BGE Smart Energy Manager are estimated projections. There are several factors that may cause these estimates to be different from the bill. For example, customers with other suppliers may notice a difference between their actual bill and their estimated bill on their BGE Smart Energy Manager account because the estimated costs are based on BGE rates and not alternative supplier rates. Budget Billing customers’ bills will be different than their estimated costs because the estimates are based on actual use during the period, and not the monthly budget payment.
- My profile information indicates that BGE has no square footage information about my home. How can this report be valid?
- A variety of information is used during the similar homes selection process. When square footage information is missing, the report still uses information such as the type of home and heating source to determine the similar homes selection. If square footage information is missing from a Home Energy Report, you can update it by clicking “Tell us about your home” under the “My Energy Use” tab on BGE.com/MyAccount.
- What is the Green Button feature?
- Green Button is a feature provided by BGE that responds to a White House challenge to provide customers access to their energy usage information in a simple, standard format that can be downloaded. The Green Button feature available on BGE.com allows customers to securely download their energy use information and share it with other companies in order to be matched with additional energy services and programs that can save them money.