Learn Do-It Yourself Tips, Conservation Strategies and Explore BGE Programs
Warmer temperatures make your air conditioning system work harder to keep your home feeling comfortable. Now is the time to make a SummerReady checklist, with the following energy-saving improvements that can make a difference on your summer cooling bill.
Do-It Yourself Tips and Conservation Strategies
- Close blinds during the day to keep the sun from heating up your home.
- Schedule a cooling system tune up to keep your central air conditioner running efficiently.
- Adjust your thermostat up to 78°F. Every degree makes a difference in your cooling costs.
- Use fans to circulate the air. They can make your home feel up to five degrees cooler.
- Seal leaks in your air conditioning ductwork to prevent cool air from escaping.
- Add insulation to make your home more energy efficient throughout the year.
- Explore the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program®. Whether you are a homeowner or business owner, the program offers a variety of powerful options to save energy, money and the environment.
- Schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up, an energy efficiency professional will walk you through your home and provide valuable and energy-saving items for increased efficiency.
- Participate in BGE Smart Energy Rewards®, a voluntary program that helps you earn credits on your summer electricity bills.
- Join PeakRewards℠, and help offset air conditioner demand during periods of “peak” electricity usage, thus helping reduce the likelihood of power outages. As a reward, participants can earn between $100 and $200 in bill credits each cycling season. (June through September)
- Also, consider Budget Billing. Despite changes in the weather, your energy bills remain predictable.
Tour our SummerReady Virtual Home and find the tools and resources to prepare for the summer heat and reduce energy consumption and save money.