Learn Do-It Yourself Conservation Strategies and Explore BGE Programs
Warmer temperatures make your air conditioning system work harder to keep your home comfortable. Now is the time to make a SummerReady checklist, with the following energy-saving improvements.
Tour our SummerReady Virtual Home and find tools and resources to prepare for the summer heat and reduce energy use.
Do-It Yourself Tips and Conservation Strategies
- Close blinds during the day to keep the sun from heating up your home.
- Schedule a cooling system tune up to keep your central air conditioner running efficiently.
- Adjust your thermostat up to 78°F. Every degree makes a difference in your cooling costs.
- Use fans to circulate the air. They can make your home feel up to five degrees cooler.
- Seal leaks in your air conditioning ductwork to prevent cool air from escaping.
- Add insulation to make your home more energy efficient throughout the year.
- Explore the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program®. Whether you are a homeowner or business owner, the program offers a variety of powerful options to save energy and money.
- Schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up, an energy efficiency professional will walk you through your home and provide valuable energy-saving items for increased efficiency.
- Participate in BGE Smart Energy Rewards®, a voluntary program that helps you earn credits on your summer electricity bills.
- Join PeakRewards℠, and help offset air conditioner demand during periods of “peak” electricity usage. Participants can earn between $100-$200 in bill credits each cycling season, June through September.
- Also, consider Budget Billing. Despite changes in weather, your energy bill remains predictable