What’s on your WinterReady checklist? Colder temperatures make your heating system work harder to keep your home feeling comfortable. That’s why now is the time to make your WinterReady checklist, with energy-saving improvements that can make a difference in your winter heating bill.
- Consider BGE’s Budget Billing, which spreads out your BGE bills evenly over the year. So, despite changes in the weather, your energy bills remain predictable.
- Schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up, an energy efficiency professional will walk with you through your home to provide valuable tips and energy-saving items for increased efficiency.
- Explore the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program®. Whether you are a homeowner, business owner, or contractor, the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program offers a variety of powerful options to save energy, money and the environment. Have your heating system tuned up, and save with rebates from approved participating contractors.
- Make these do-it yourself energy-saving improvements:
- Lower the temperature on your water heater, and conserve hot water when you can. Heating water is the second biggest energy user in your home.
- Seal holes and seams in your ductwork.
- Caulk and seal gaps around doors, windows and even electrical outlets.
- Ensure you have 12 to 15 inches of attic insulation, or an R-38 level.
- Install efficient-flow faucets and shower heads to reduce water heating costs year-around.
- Open curtains and drapes during the day, to let the sun warm your home, and close them at night for insulation.
- And don’t forget that you can save an average of 2% on your energy bill for every degree you lower your thermostat.
Visit our WinterReady Home Virtual Tour, where you’ll find additional tools and resources your need to prepare for the cold weather ahead. Now that’s smart energy.