Before starting a project, think safety first:
- Provide good lighting.
- Wear gloves, a breathing mask and protective eye wear.
- Follow manufacturer's directions and safety tips.
Here are some things you can do now that will save energy and money.
- Check/add insulation in your attic to reach an R-38, the depth of twelve inches.
- Check ductwork coming from your furnace for leaks or gaps.
- Change your furnace filter monthly.
- Caulk or weatherstrip around doors and windows.
- Add draft-sealers around electric switches and outlets.
- If you have a fireplace, close the flue damper when it's not in use.
- Consider insulating your hot water pipes.
- If you have a window air-conditioner unit, consider removing it in the winter months or seal gaps around the unit.