Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Holiday Lighting Safety Tips

  • Turn off all decorative lighting when leaving the house and before going to bed.BGE Holiday Safety
  • Follow the manufacturer's limits for the number of strings that can safely be connected together.
  • Check all light strands for cracked or broken plugs, frayed insulation or bare wires. Worn cords can cause fires.
  • Discard all damaged sets of lights.
  • Consider using energy efficient lighting products. BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® offers discounts of up to $5 on select ENERGY STAR® certified LED lighting products. For more information, visit bgesmartenergy.com.
Outdoor Lighting Safety Tips
  • Ensure that lights used to decorate the outside of the house are approved for outdoor use; never use indoor lights outside.
  • Do not place yourself or any object where you or it may come in contact with a power line.
  • Keep at least 10 feet away from all overhead lines.
  • Make sure tree limbs have not grown into or near power lines. Branches or entire trees can become energized if they come in contact with a power line.
Indoor Lighting Safety Tips
  • Route cords inside your home so they are not a tripping hazard.
  • Do not place cords under rugs, furniture or other appliances. Cords can overheat or become frayed and cause a fire.
  • If you have a real Christmas tree, be sure to keep it watered.
  • Do not use real candles. If you do, keep all burning candles within sight and extinguish them before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Keep candles on a stable, heat-resistant surface and away from children and pets.
Ladder Safety Tips
  • Be careful and watch for overhead lines before raising ladders or other objects.
  • Maintain three points of contact when ascending or descending a ladder.
  • Make sure that the ladder’s feet are firmly set and square before climbing.
  • Have a spotter at the base of the ladder.

Fireplace and Stove Safety Tips

  • Keep all flammable household items at least three feet away from the appliance.
  • Never start your fire with gasoline, kerosene or other flammable liquids.
  • Do not use logs made from wax and sawdust in your wood stove or fireplace insert. They are for open hearth fireplaces.
  • Keep the doors of your wood burning appliance closed unless you are loading or stoking the fire.
  • Regularly remove the ashes into a metal container with a lid and store outside away from the home.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher near the appliance. Make sure it has not passed its expiration date and it has the correct pressure.
  • Have your chimney professionally cleaned and inspected each year.
  • Remember to test and change the batteries on your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors twice a year and be mindful of their expiration dates. ​
© Baltimore Gas and Electric Company, 2017. All Rights Reserved.